This policy has been established to ensure that research at UCSF is conducted in a manner appropriate to its academic goals in order to protect and maintain the integrity of research and of UCSF. This policy is based on the principle that quality research requires adherence to the highest standards of integrity in proposing, conducting, and reporting research. The procedures referenced below under Section VI cover the handling of allegations of research misconduct.
It is the policy of UCSF to respond fully and fairly to all allegations of research misconduct and to comply with the reporting requirements of applicable funding agencies.
All UCSF researchers are subject to this policy and are expected to be aware of and to comply with all applicable policies and procedures of the University, campus, and departments, as well as external entities funding their research.
All UCSF researchers are expected to maintain intellectual integrity. UCSF is committed to promoting the integrity of research and to meeting the obligations defined by extramural funding agencies.
Any individual affiliated with UCSF has an ethical responsibility to act if he or she suspects research misconduct has occurred and to contact the campus Research Integrity Officer (RIO).
Individuals associated with UCSF are expected to cooperate with the RIO and other institutional officials in the course of research misconduct proceedings.
Contact Office of the campus RIO with any questions.
Reporting Improper Governmental Activities and Protection Against Retaliation (Whistleblower Policy & Whistleblower Protection Policy)
- Code of Federal Regulations: Department of Energy Policy on Research Misconduct (10 CFR Parts 600 and 733; 48 CFR Parts 935, 952 and 970; RIN 1901–AA89)
- Code of Federal Regulations: National Aeronautics and Space Administration Final Rule-Investigation of Research Misconduct (14 CFR Part 1275), 7/14/04
- Environmental Protection Agency Order: Policy and Procedures for Addressing Research Misconduct, review date 3/18/06
- Code of Federal Regulations: Public Health Service Policies on Research Misconduct (42 CFR Parts 50 and 93), rev. 5/05
- Veterans Health Administration Handbook: Procedures and Other Requirements for Handling Allegations of Misconduct in Department of Veterans Affairs Research, 5/4/05
- UCSF Integrity of Research Procedures, 11/09
- UCSF Campus Code of Conduct
- UCSF Interim Procedure for Investigation of Faculty Misconduct and the Administration of Discipline, Office of the Vice Provost-Academic Affairs, rev. 11/09
- University of California Bylaws of the Academic Senate, Office of the President
- University of California Policy and Procedures for Reporting and Investigating Allegations of Suspected Improper Governmental Activities (Whistleblower) Policy), Office of the President, Rev. 4/08
- University of California Policy for Protection of Whistleblowers from Retaliation and Guidelines For Reviewing Retaliation Complaints (Whistleblower Protection Policy), Office of the President, Rev, 10/02
- University of California Policy Regarding Academic Appointees (Faculty Code of Conduct) (Academic Personnel Manual 015), Office of the President
- University of California Policy on Faculty Conduct and the Administration of Discipline (Academic Personnel Manual 016), Office of the President, 2002
- University of California Policy on Student Conduct And Discipline (Section 100.00) , Office of the President, Rev. 10/20/08, Office of the President